It is that time of the year again…time to share what I learned during the course of the summer. This summer was filled with ups and downs, highs and lows. As summer comes to an end and I find my voice again, as Fall blooms forth, it is time to share with you my dear readers and friends the many things I learned during the summer of 2017.
(1) Living in liminal space is not for the faint of heart! In fact, it is down right hard and exhausting. There were many days that I wondered where God was going to lead me next. There were also many days that I questioned God’s plan for my life. I found myself continually clinging to the words from Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper and not harm you, to give you a future with hope.”
(2) I have the most incredible friends and family! If it wasn’t for these individuals, this unexpected journey would have been so much harder. They listened when I needed an ear to listen. They gave me their shoulder to cry on when I simply needed to let out the tears. They brought me wine. They helped me to find my voice again. I love you all so much and cannot thank you enough for the ways you walked with me during this journey.
(3) The mountains have a way of renewing and transforming us in ways we never imagined. I have always had a special place in my heart for the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. But it truly wasn’t until I climbed a mountain and got 300 feet from the base of Estes Cone, that I realized how holy the mountains are and how I can truly do anything I set my mind too. It was on that mountain that I found my voice again. It was on that mountain that I was able to leave behind the past and look to the future. It is an experience that forever will be held in the depths of my heart and soul. It is almost impossible to capture this experience in words, but I did my very best. You can read about it HERE!
(4) Time with my little sister is the best. We fought like cats and dogs when we were younger. But now that we are older, she is one of my best friends! I love her immensely! We had so much fun exploring Chicago together for our sisters trip. We also had a blast this past weekend as we explored my new city together, made my house more like a home and celebrated our birthdays. I love the time we get to share together!
(5) Meeting social media friends in the flesh is one of the best experiences. This summer, while in Chicago, my sister and I got to meet my blog friend Stephanie. It was so much fun to visit in the flesh. It is like we have known each other forever. Our conversation flowed freely. I love meeting blog and social media friends in the flesh and cannot wait to meet more of you.
(6) There is gift in community whether online or in person. Community is what sustained me through the ups and downs and highs and loves of this summer. I love what my friend Anita said to me the other day as part of our Five Minute Friday Twitter chat, “Your social media friends go with you wherever you go.” I am clinging to that promise as I settle into a new community and make new friends while also knowing I have friends scattered throughout the world.
(7) Prayer changes things!!! The last several weeks, I have started Facebook living a prayer feed on my personal Facebook page. Together, we have prayed for Texas, the wildfires, and other individuals who have asked me to pray for their friends and family. Prayer is a way to stay connected as the body of Christ scattered to and fro. Prayer is a two way street that connects our hearts through life’s joys, sorrows, trials and tribulations.
Well friends, that is what I learned this summer. My summer was filled with time of learning; learning that shaped and transformed me and gave me my voice back. As a new beginning starts, I know that I will continually learn and grow as a beloved child of God.
I am linking up with these lovely ladies Emily P Freeman, Kelly Balarie, Jennifer Dukes Lee, Holley Gerth and Kristen Hill Taylor.