Jan writes, I am currently reading a book entitled Stairway of Surprise: Six Steps to a Creative Life by Michael Lipson. His premise is a quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson: “I shall mount to paradise by the stairway of surprise.” Lipson’s book is about practicing or developing six inner functions–thinking, doing, feeling, loving, opening, and thanking.
So these categories of attention are a jumping off point for today’s Friday Five:
Pick five of the six actions and write about how you are practicing them today or recently. For a bonus, write about the sixth one you originally didn’t choose!
What or how are you
1. thinking? Spending time at a continuing education event.
2. doing? Im doing pretty good. Loving my life. Trying to spend some time writing etc. Reading on my Kindle. Taking care of myself!
3. feeling? Excited, Happy, Etc! I leave for a little continuing education event on Sunday after church. I’m headed to Colorado for the Lutheran Academy of the Rockies. Should be a good time. Looking forward to also making a few stops and catching up with some seminary friends as well.
4. loving? My family….but STILL waiting to find my Mr. Right. Im loving the summer weather.
5. opening? my mind to new ideas!
6. thanking? Trying to verbally thank my friends, family, etc when they do something extra special for me etc!
I should be getting ready for my trip but Im procrastinating instead!!! Im leaving after church for Colorado on Sunday and will be gone for 10+ days. Looking forward to getting away, seeing good friends, etc.