It is such a beautiful fall day outside today. I almost want to play hookie but must work instead! 🙂 There is something I love about all the seasons. I love watching the leaves change in the fall. So pretty! Hopefully Ill be able to catch some pictures in the coming days to show you my faithful readers. A friend stated that this time of year is like “autumnal eye candy.” I like that description!
In other news, not much is happening. I was suppose to preach this weekend since Pastor is out of town but I just found out this afternoon that I will not be preaching this weekend. No big deal at all but I am a little bit disappointed because it is our 3rd Grade Bible Sunday and the texts for Sunday fit soooooo well! They are all about faith! I also am a little disappointed because I had started my sermon prep work!
These texts about faith have me thinking about how faith is passed on….through caring, trusted relationships. We ask our Confirmation students to write a faith paper. The faith paper asks three questions, “What do I believe?”, “The Church is?” and “My Confirmation means to me?.” It is always so fun to hear their answers.I thought it might be fun to answer these questions for myself especially since my answers will be wayyyy different than what I would have answered 10 plus years ago! Im going to leave the last one off since its been awhile but I feel like I can honestly asnwer the other two.
So what does my faith mean to me or what do I believe etc? My faith is an important part of who I am as a child of God. I believe that God has called me and all of us as God’s beloved children. God wants me to share that love with those that I come in contact with each and every day. I believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross to forgive me of all my sins. We are all both saint and sinner! I believe that God is the source of all creation. I believe that God walks with me in both the ups and downs of life. God is the king of kings and lord of Lords. I believe in the Triune God; Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Without my faith, I truly don’t believe that I could get through each and every day of my life!
What is church? Yes, I work at a church but the church is so much more than a building. “Where two or three are gathered in Christ’s holy name” is where church happens. Church is embodied through the caring, trusted relationships that are a part of this community of faith. Church takes place when we collect cans of food for the local pantry. Church takes place when I gather with my brothers and sisters in Christ wherever that may be! Church is in so many ways the hands and feet of Christ for me!
Well there are my answers to the question. Hope you all are enjoying a beautiful fall day wherever you are as well!
1) Do you like to sing/listen to others sing? In worship, or on your own (or not at all?)I love to listen to others sing. In worship, I refuse to sing the liturgy because I am a horrible singer. Singing is definetely not one of my gifts. I would rather listen to those who have it as a gift!
2) Did you grow up with music in worship, or come to it later in life? Tell us about it, and how that has changed in your experience. I grew up with music in worship. We had a very active adult and children’s choir. When I was little, I was in the children’s choir.
3) Some people find worship incomplete without music; others would just as soon not have it. Where do you fall? I think it is music with or without music!
4) Do you prefer traditional music in worship, or contemporary? That can mean many different things! I like a little of both!
5) What’s your go-to music … when you need solace or want to express joy? A video/recording will garner bonus points! For me, it is some of my favorite Christian music. I love Jars of Clay Love Song for a Savior. A new song that will always have meaning for me is seminarian Ben Larson’s version of Psalm 30. It was the song I listened to with other WTSers when we found out that Ben was gone.
Check it out here! http://www.muziboo.com/sulring/music/mourning-into-dancing/
1. What were baby showers like for you and your friends in the past? I have never had or been to a baby shower! So sad!
2. Did you play games? What kinds? Never been to one!
3. In your job, especially if you are a pastor, do you get invited to a lot of baby showers? What do you do about them? Nope Ive not been invited to one yet
4. Are baby showers different for our daughters (or younger friends) than they were for us? Not sure
5. Do you like hosting baby showers or do you avoid that responsibility? I think it would be fun to host one!
I am in the time of my life when I yearn for a husband and a family! Something I yearn for each and every day. Hopefully it will happen someday for me!
Why is it that certain things make your mind go immediately to one place? Tonight I got a phone call from a nurse at the place my mom lives at saying they had taken her to the clinic today. Apparently there was a lump in her left breast and it was imflamed. They gave her a medication and said it was celulitis in the breast which is basically an infection. However they did do a mammogram and depending on how the mammogram comes back, they might do an ultrasound. I am not too worried but I must admit my mind immediately went to that ugly “c” word! So I would appreciate a prayer or two! It’s when I hear “possible” bad news like this that makes me want an immediate direct line to God!
I’ve been thinking a lot about a conversation I had about a week ago at lunch with some work colleagues. For some reason, the conversation turned to being single etc. Now many of you who read this blog regularly know that I am deeply yearning to be married, have a family, etc. My colleagues know this and respect it deeply. At lunch, one of my colleagues asked what I pray for when I pray about this. I replied that I often pray for God to give me patience, courage etc as I wait for my Mr. Right. This colleague then flipped this on its head and asked me to try praying for something differently. Basically he said “I should pray for God to put someone in my path who will bless me and who I will bless in return.” It got me thinking! I’ve reworded what Ive been praying for etc. I think often times we aren’t always sure what to pray for but God has this way of showing us how to reword it or whatever via other people etc. During the course of this conversation, we also talked about how church is definetely not the place to meet someone. Now I definetely know that, but I need to be more proactive about how I meet people. I love writing, poetry, etc. I am trying to find a writing group in this community….maybe this will be how I meet someone. I just continue to pray that God will put someone in my path that will bless me and who I will bless in return!
This Friday Five seems so perfect. It has been a raiiiinnnny wet week. I feel like Ive been transported to the Pacific NW but I havent!
1. Are you prone to sleep challenges? Insomnia, snoring, allergies? Other sleep challenges? I’m definetely a snoring. One time at camp I was giving the chainsaw award because I snore like Im sawing logs. I wish I wasnt a snorer!
2. When you can’t sleep what do you do? Toss and turn? Get up and read? Play computer games? Usually toss and turn but if it gets really bad then Ill get up and turn on the tv or read.
3. When you do sleep do you remember your dreams? Or just snipets of them? I usually dont remember my dreams.
4. Can you share a funny or confusing dream you’ve had? Or a dream you have over and over? I cant think of one but a friend once dreamed that I was a superhero and saved everyone…that was a fun dream to hear about!
5. When you don’t sleep how do you get through the day? Lots of coffee? or a nap later in the day? coffee, maybe a nap later in the day